Monday, August 27, 2007

August 28th

On August 28, 2006 I received a phone call that changed my life forever. A woman from Chinese Children Adoption International told me that I was a mother to a beautiful little girl named Lin Shen Chao.

I remember it like it was yesterday. I was sitting at my desk at work feeling blue. I had heard the next round of referrals was coming out of China but I thought we weren't going to be included. Referrals are based on the date your paperwork is logged into the Chinese system, ours was logged in on July 23, 2005 and we had heard that referrals were going through the 22nd. So I thought we'd have to wait an extra month. We'd already waited offically for 13 months (21 months since we'd started the paperwork) what was one more.

Then the phone rang and the woman on the other end told me that we had our referral. She asked if I wanted to conference Scott in so he could hear the news but he was in a meeting and I couldn't find him. Then she said she could call back. Call back are you crazy, I needed to know everything right then.

Her name was Lin Shen Chao and she lived in the YiHuang Social Welfare Institute in Jiangxi China. She went into the orphanage when she was approximately 1 week old and she had spent most of her life living with foster parents. At the time of referral she was 7 months old.



I couldn't believe it, our "Non-Existant Hypothetical Baby" (her name during our wait time) really existed. She was our little Vivienne. They e-mailed pictures and I saw this beautiful little girl with a heart shaped face and a rosebud mouth. I just sat there and cried. Then I realized I had to go find Scott. I ran next door to his office but he was still gone. I finally busted into his meeting and dragged him upstairs to see the pictures. Needless to say he was beside himself.

We wanted to hop on the next plane to China to bring her home. But again we had to wait for another round of approvals. We got our clearance to travel and set out to meet her in October. We were finally united as a family on October 30, 2006.



Now fast forward 10 months. I can't imagine a time when Vivienne or Ivie for short, was not in our lives. She is a happy, healthy, spicy little toddler. Our transition as a family has been smooth, like we were made for eachother. She constantly amazes us every day.

When I think back to that day, I think about the time she spent in China. I also think about her sisters and brothers who are still waiting for a forever family. So I have decided to start a Crafting for China Charity Challenge. From August 28 through October 30, 50% off the proceeds from the charity section in my Etsy shop will go to the Half the Sky Foundation which works to benefit the lives of children in Chinese orphanages who are waiting for their forever families. I hope to raise $300 which will be enough to sponsor a child for one year. This will be in addition to the personal gift that Scott and I plan on making. The charity section will have items inspired by China, family and love. Please check it out and help me share the love.

3 comments:

Sara Millis said...

What a beautiful story... you have made me all teary at my computer (my boyfriend is currently thinking that he has done something very wrong!)Vivienne looks like a very happy little girl.

I wish you all the best in making those sales, so that you can give to the charity that is so near to your heart.

Sara x

Sales Rack Raider said...

What a wonderful milestone! I'm so happy for your family.

Bonny (Bonny Jewelry) said...

She's adorable - while I was reading your story I was recalling my niece coming home from Korea and I was getting all weepy (at work no less - hope nobody walks in!) Obviously she was meant to be a part of your family :)

Best of luck with your sale - it's definitely in the "worthy cause" category!