Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Search for inspiration

Lately I have not been inspired to create any new jewelry. I've done the custom order here and there but that is it.

Last year, before we traveled to China to adopt the wee one, I went on a creative binge. I bought lots of new supplies and made a ton of jewelry. This binge created a lot of inventory and enabled me to stock my Etsy store and the local boutique where I sell my jewerly. In fact I still have a few pieces that I can photo and list on Etsy.

My problem is the boutique is now out of my pieces and they are asking for more. I have a few I can bring in to keep my work out in the public eye. But I am not sure if this is the work that I want shown. I've only been into the bead stores to buy something specific like findings, not to spend hours imagining all the possibilities I could create with the beautiful beads.




Instead of creating my traditional jewelry, lately I have been playing with other mediums. I have been creating collages out of junk mail and magazines. I've been experimenting with painting and drawing as well. I turned a few of the collages into earrings and pendants which I brougth to the Trashion Trunk Show. I've only listed one so far on Etsy, these Night Collage Earrings but I am really proud of what I've done. When I get the courage, I think I'll list more.

I am even considering taking a drawing class at MIAD this fall. I always said I couldn't draw a strait line. But my experimentation has really freed me from those concerns. I feel a joy about creating that I haven't felt in a long time and I think I need to explore it further. I am not sure where I will end up but I'll certainly enjoy the ride.

I could use some thoughts or encouragement. Do you all think I'm crazy?

No comments: