Sunday, September 16, 2007

My Dad

My dad has been writing me letters every week for the past three years. Real letters sent through the mail. Even though we live only 20 minutes from each other and see each other at least once a week, he still takes the time to write. I can't tell you what it means to me to get these letters, I wait for them every week.

In the letters he shares bits of his life, what he and my mom are doing, how his golf game is going, what he is doing at work. He also shares a poem, article or cartoon. They may be focused on what is going on in my life, lately we've been getting articles regarding raising children to help us navigate the waters with the wee one. Or they may be something that is important to him that he wants to share with me. My dad studies meditation and has found lots of interesting articles and poems related to that inner journey.

A lot of times my life is so busy that I don't share with my dad how much these letters really mean to me. When my parents were out in California recenlty to visit my brother I didn't get my weekly letter. It felt kind of strange. So I went back through my file of letters, rereading them. I realized that so much of what he was saying and sharing was still relevant to me today. He talks a lot about being present in the moment and enjoying what is in front of you.

One of the poems that he has sent a few times really hit home, Ithaca by Constantine Cavafy. The poem talks about taking a journey to Ithaca, but it is about the journey not the destination. It made me think about making jewelry and making art. I shouldn't be so concerned with the output. I should really focus on the creative process. Why am I making this? Am I enjoying it? Does it make me happy? If I am happy with my process, the results won't matter. I will have learned something and expanded my horizions, the result will reflect that growth.

I should also enjoy my time with my hubby and the wee one. The moments we have now are so precious, I shouldn't worry about how we are going to pay for college or those things. That will all come with time. Just enjoy the silliness, the smiles, the hugs and the love.

So today I would like to thank my dad for his inspiration, for sharing his wisdom with me and for being a wonderful dad. Happy Birthday Dad.

1 comment:

Bonny (Bonny Jewelry) said...

I love that you keep the letters to go back through to read - so cool that your dad writes to you each week. And, btw - I totally agree about it's the journey and not the destination - I know I lose sight of that in the rush and tumble of life - nice to get the reminder :)