Saturday, February 09, 2008

Light Box

In an effort to take better photos of my work, I made a light box today. It was a fun little project and was so easy.





I used the instructions on Strobist for creating a light box for under $10. I had the box lying around my studio (and lets be honest - what isn't lying around my studio). However, I had to hit the store for the tissue paper and poster board. Total cost $2.41, not to bad. Though in retrospect, I probably shouldn't have bought the poster board because I use different backgrounds for my photos (but I am sure I'll find a use for them).

Armed with a Hazelnut latte, I spread my materials on the dining room table and set to work. It only took about 10 minutes to cut out the windows using my trusty exacto knife. The part that took the longest was cutting the tissue paper and taping it to the box. This was only because I kept tearing the tissue. Total time to create the box about 25 minutes. I don't know why I didn't do this sooner. Well yes I do but we are not going to revisit my master procrastination skills again.





So next step was to get a light and start photographing. I used a halogen desk lamp for my first try and it seemed to work quite well. I think I might try two lights next time to see if it makes a difference. So I re-photographed the garnet bangle I initially posted on January 29th. Here are the two photos. I think the second one is vastly improved. Don't you?

If this keeps up I might be able to list more items in my store. Shocking I know but it might just happen. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Nicole Solo said...

I made the same lightbox - looks just like that except with some bunny chew marks :p I couldn't ever get it to help me though, I don't have lamps that are bright enough so I just take photos next to the sliding glass balcony door.